Monday, January 30, 2012

Oreos and the hunt for cake

I've been a little overwhelmed on my end over here. I made the move from NYC back to LA in December, bringing a large chapter of my life to a close. I did take a break from chocolate while I was in Los Angeles for the holidays, just spending time with family and friends. Now with January coming to a close, I have moved onto my next big adventure- Las Vegas. I'm looking forward to working out here [again] and growing and learning everything I can. So, to get back into the swing of things, we are going to re-enter the world of chocolate, starting with some super chocolate-y homemade oreos!

Homemade Oreo's
Cocoa Powder: 1 1/3 cups
Flour: 1 1/2 cups
Salt: 1 tsp
Butter: 1 cup
Sugar: 2 cups
Eggs: 2 ea
Vanilla: 1 tsp

1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
2. Beat in eggs until homogenous
3. Add in cocoa, flour, salt, and vanilla and mix JUST until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX- this will make your dough tough.
4. Wrap the dough and allow to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to an hour- now roll, cut and bale
325 F 10-15 minutes

Vanilla Filling:
Butter: 1 cup
Powdered Sugar: 2-3 cups
Vanilla Extract: 2-3 tbps

1. Cream butter until very light and soft
2. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract
[here is a point of taste- i like it strongly vanilla and pretty sweet, but mix to taste]


finished cookie dough
wrap and chill the dough for easy rolling
cut out your circles [or any shape you want really]

Fill and enjoy!
this week I am searching for the most delicious chocolate cake recipe [well, a very delicious recipe]  that will pair well with buttercream and work for stacking and carving as well :]
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...